George would have been 77 years old today.
I came to my Beatles’ fandom via Paul McCartney, and it was always Paul’s records I was buying and concerts I was attending (I’ve seen him 4 times). But it’s George whose music never fails to enthrall me. When I listen to the Beatles Channel on SiriusXM, I hear a lot of solo Harrison works that I am unfamiliar with, and I almost always love them.
Thought I’d list my top ten Harrisongs from George’s solo career. In no particular order, they are:
- Beware of Darkness – a beautiful song that says so much
- Isn’t It A Pity – another beautiful lyrical song
- All Things Must Pass – an epic song for the ages
- Blow Away – a chorus that you will find yourself singing along with every time
- What Is Life – a great guitar riff and meaningful lyrics
- Living In The Material World – just a fabulous hooky song
- It’s What You Value – great rock song from 33 1/3
- Cockamamie Business – a rarity but another great rock song
- This Song – a fun tune that pokes fun at the lawsuit surrounding “My Sweet Lord”
- Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) – one of his best
I definitely could keep going. I left off so many great songs. But if I was putting together a mix tape or CD, those would likely be my first ten choices. (Except I can’t seem to find Cockamamie Business anywhere except YouTube).
Speaking of which, here’s the video for that one:
Happy Birthday, George!